Sunday, March 22, 2015

Blueberry Muffins, a lowfat breakfast option

 The result:  A low fat, healthy, non-guilt, breakfast muffin. 

Ingredients:
3/4 cup oat flour
1 1/2 cup homemade flour consisting of oats, bran, flax and chia
2 tsp vanilla sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup organic % vanilla yogurt ( I used stonyfield)
1/4 cup 0% vanilla greek yogurt
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp sour cream
fresh blueberries

 
More about the ingredients:
Oat flour -  I make my oat flour from scratch when I need it because its ridiculously simple to do.  All I do it put rolled oats in my magic blender and blend. Thats it.
My magic flour -  Its my go to combination of "health". I go to the bulk bin of my local health supermarket, like Sprouts or Wholefoods and purchase the following:  Rolled oats,  Oat bran, Flax Seed, and Chia seeds. There is no real science to this because its just goodness- a plethora of Omega-3, protein, and fiber.  I mix up these "good for you" ingredients and store them. Its a great addition to oatmeal, smoothies, and cookies. This time I decided to blend it up and turn it into a flour.
Vanilla sugar & Baking Powder -  I used the Dr. Oetker brand
Blueberries - I may have used to many blueberries. But really, is there such a thing? Portion out blueberries to your preference...
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Line muffin pan or spray with Pam or Olive oil 
  3. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients ( oat flour, magic flour, vanilla sugar, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, powdered sugar)
  4. In another bowl combine the wet ingredients ( vanilla yogurt, greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream)
  5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just incorporated
  6. Fold in the blueberries
  7. Bake for 20-25 minutes
 
One of the blueberries somehow made the mark of a cross! Pretty appropriate with Easter right around the corner ...  

No comments:

Post a Comment