Monday, July 19, 2010
Adventures of the Palate
This year has been filled with more than enough reminders of life's brevity. Please make the best of each day, live life to the fullest ( albeit responsibly and safely) and experience new things. One small way I want to do this is by trying new food/health products. For example, coconut water is supposed to be an awesome source of electrolytes.
Here are some of the benefits the website attributes to young coconut water:
- Excellent for replacing lost electrolytes from exercise or illness
- An all-natural sports/energy drink
- A natural isotonic beverage – contains a similar level of electrolytes found in human blood.
- May help promote smoother, more hydrated skin
- Rich in potassium. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure and heart function
- Effective oral rehydration medium and keeps the body cool.
I personally found the drink to be refreshing, it did have a very slight " thickness" to it. It was probably just mere awareness that it was not traditional water. The touch of Guava was the perfect addition to give it a refreshing taste. Admittedly I felt a slight bit of energy afterward as well as the feeling that I had just put something clean and beneficial into my system rather than typical processed foods.
I do have some plain coconut water in my fridge which I havn't tried yet, slightly worried about the flavor, or lack of flavor, but I will get to it soon and report the results.