Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A return to life, a return to health

The past few weeks have been very difficult for my fiance and I, particularly my fiance and his family.  We took a trip out of town this weekend, hoping it would serve as a distraction from the sadness of 2010, but came home only to witness his dog of 16 years pass away. Life is most definitely full of unexpected things and we can only do so much to protect ourselves. But, even if it seems healthy habits are not a guarantee, at least they are some sort of protection right?

Anyhow, I am making a rededicated effort to come back to the blog world and praying that we have had our fill of depressing news for the year.Over the past couple of weeks I have begun working out again, sometimes 2 -2.5 hours a day. I am working on finding a balance. As of yesterday,  I began tracking calories ( fun I know... but I need to slim down for the forthcoming wedding).

BREAKFAST:

A Western Bagel, "Alternative Bagel" 1.5 tbsp of whole foods cream cheese, and fresh honeydew/strawberries ( 296 cal, 40 carb, 14 fat, 12 protein)

LUNCH:


  Trader Joe's Veggie Masala Patties, 1 raw carrot, 1 cup fat free plain yogurt + cherry/pineapple popsicle (  463 cal, 46 carb, 16 fat, 19 protein)



DINNER:
Corn before -->

corn after...
Oven Broiled Corn on the Cob, Haricot Vert dish [recipe below] (  409 cal, 60 carb, 12 fat, 20 protein)

Recipe:

Sautee 1 medium one onion in 1/2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil on low heat, allowing it to caramelize. To aid in the process add a pinch or two of brown sugar. Next, add 2 cloves diced garlic and continue to caramelize.  Now add 2 cups of haricot vert and 2 medium diced baked potatoes ( microwaved works too). Stir well, and cook for a couple of minutes. Lastly, in a separate bowl, whisk together 2 eggs and 2 egg white along with salt, pepper, and choice of spices.  Pour this on top of the vegetables and cover for 1 minute, then stir. Repeat until the eggs are cooked.  Makes 2-3 servings.

SNACKS throughout the day included a fuji apple, home made rice krispie treat and a couple more Popsicles. It was a hot day, what can I say. My apt got to 95 degrees at one point. (  487 cal, 63 carb, 1 fat, protein)

WORKOUT: 30 minutes on the eliptical , intervals ( 290 cal)  30 minutes on weight machines.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you to hear that you're not going to let all the sadness take you away from health. (And what's better than pride from a stranger? :) ) This too shall pass and you will be able ot smile again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are back...I know the past weeks have been hard, but refocusing on your health and future wedding will help you..take care great eats

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete