Wednesday, December 9, 2009

" I need to feel better ASAP " Soup

Wow, I went an entire semester of not getting sick -- not even for half a day. But of course as soon as finals rolls around and I have to study like a madwoman WHAM , hello symptoms.... goodbye energy.

The symptoms like to come and go. It's like they are taking turns: sore throat one day, fever the next, then one day of only nausea and nothing else. Whats next, and when will it go away??? I have my first final on Friday, International Business Transactions Law. I would like to be conscious and coherent. That would be a plus -- considering its a three hour exam, closed book, covering oh... about 1000 pages of material.

::SIGH:: If you have a law student in your life, or used to be one, I'm sure this is all familiar banter. Either way,  thanks for listening.

Since today I wokeup nauseous, I survived mostly on tea throughout the day. When it came time for dinner, I wanted something simple, nutritious and full of magical ingredients that would boost my immune system and have me up and running.


So.... my soup  

Ingredients

1/2 a medium onion, sliced
1 tbsp chopped jalapeno
5 cloves of garlic
1-2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
Pam
Mushrooms, sliced thinly for garnish
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp or less of rice vinegar ( optional)
1 tsp brown sugar
4 cups of beef broth

Sautee the onions in Pam first, then add the jalapeno, garlic and ginger. "Deglaze" with the soy sauce/rice vinegar combo. Quickly thereafter, add the broth and brown sugar and let it simmer.  ( If you have scallions, they would be a great garnish as well)

Garnish with sliced mushrooms.... and pray for a miracle.

3 comments:

  1. Awww I hope it helped! It sounds and looks delicious. Feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're feeling better! Soup looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made soup this weekend with loads of shitake mushrooms. It's so soothing in my tummy especially when it's cold and rainy outside. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete