Thursday, November 12, 2009

A variation on memories


 All of a sudden, I had a flashback to being a young child sitting at my paternal grandmothers table eating a dish she referred to as "potato jajik"  as an appetizer.  It has been years seen I have thought of this dish, much less eaten it. Nevertheless, I felt inspired to recreate it in a new way.

Essentially all I remember was that the original dish contained potatoes walnuts and greens. From that I created this new recipe

 Ingredients:  
3 cups of baked/boiled potato , skinned
2 cups of walnut halves which you will mince in a food processor
1 medium white onion, sauteed until translucent in unsalted butter
2 cloves of garlic
A few sprigs each of : parsley, cilantro, dill
Sea Salt
3 tablespoons whipping cream
Beet juice ( if you want to turn it into the pink color for added presentation)

First, mix the minced walnuts with the cooked potatoes until well combined. Next in a food processor blend the translucent onions, garlic and herbs into a pseudo-pesto. Combine the potato/walnut with the pseudo-pesto and slowly add the whipping cream until you reach your desired consistency. Season with salt.

This may sound like an odd combination and it may be an unfamiliar taste, but it brings back memories. Think of it as a type of potato salad. Based on some research I did, it may have its origins in Georgia (the country).

Let me know what you think!


Post Script:  Apparantly this also functions as an appetite suppresant ???  One spoonful is keeping me full for hours.  If it works the same for you , let me know .  I'm curious if I have stumbled upon something here.

1 comment: