Saturday Morning Brunch was an 1 egg, +2 egg white scramble with a glass of Florida's Natural Orange Juice (best orange juice i've tried so far, honest) and two slices of Oroweat double fiber toast.
The Scramble included:
2 egg whites
some mesquite deli turkey
1 light string cheese
and a scallion
on Sunday night, I decided to whip up a healthy meal which consisted of Chicken, Barley and Asparagus:
Mushroom Barley ( adapted from a WW recipe)
1 Spanish onion
2 cups diced baby bella mushroom
1 cup pearl barley
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp white wine
1 tbsp grated parmesan
3 cups chicken broth
1 tsp unsalted butter
- Sautee the diced mushroom and onion in 1 tsp of unsalted butter until onions are transparent and mushroom has softened and shrunk in size.
- Add 1 cup pearl barley, and stir into the mushrooms and onions
-Next, add the white wine
- Add 3 cups of chicken broth and bring the pot to a boil. Once it begins to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 60 minutes. Stir every 20 minutes or so.
- At about 40 minutes into the cooking process, add the soy sauce and Parmesan.
12 stems of asparagus
Cooking spray ( 2 sprays)
3 cloves garlic
- Heat a sautee pan coated with cooking spray, add the asparagus, and 3 sliced cloves of garlic. After a couple minutes add the soy sauce to taste , stir and let it reduce. The whole process should take about 5 minutes total.
1 tsp Raw Sugar
1 Chicken Breast
3 cloves garlic
3 Tbsp white wine
1 /2 cup - 1 cup chicken broth
- Wash and diced the chicken breast, Coat it with lemon pepper, paprika and 1 tsp of raw sugar.
- Place in a hot pot coated with cooking spray and brown on both sides.
- Add the wine, and let the alcohol cook off.
- Next add 3 diced cloves of garlic, and chicken broth. Let it simmer on low until the barley is done :)